I’m a little better at this than I was when I started the project, and I’m using this branch to implement some ideas that will make everything simpler, quicker, and more elegant.
The SQLite cache will be removed.
#langwill be used instead of Pollen (more info)
Articles will keep all the values needed to render themselves and their notes in their metas, rather than reparsing the doc at render time.
Articles and notes will compile to an AST rather than directly to HTML or LaTeX or MP3 or whatever (no “poly tags” required).
A separate build step will serialize articles, notes, and highlighted sources to a separate .rktd file in a subfolder. The filename will be timestamp-prefixed to allow for easy sorting.
After all updated articles are compiled, an indexer (
yarn/stitchbelow) will rebuild sort tables and serialize them to .rktd files:
- Dictionary of main index entries → subentry + list of link targets
- Hash table of series → articles
- Ordered lists of all articles and notes by date
There will be a clear cross-referencing model:
- A pin is an index entry. In a body of text, it links to the index entry.
- A def is also a pin that can be cross-referenced directly in another text.
- In a body of text, it is italicized, prefixed with a manicule, and links to the index entry.
- Every title of an article becomes its own def.
- A ref simply links directly to a def (not to the index).
- Ref links get resolved at template render time.
- No back-links.
Rendered articles will be able to include previous/next links for other articles in their series. The listings within series will be resolved at render time and not at compile time, making it simple for articles to fetch series metadata.
- web/ (CSS, JS, fonts, etc)
- markup (anything needed by articles at compile time)
- stitch (for gathering info from/referring to other files)
- mp3? etc…
(require yarn/render/html) or whichever module is needed for the output format.
|18:32||Shuffle stuff, serialize notes Leaf check-in: cf83a366 user: joel tags: evolve|
|19:19||Start on new markup and renderer check-in: 4ac3f95c user: joel tags: evolve|
|19:19||Clean house check-in: 43a06b90 user: joel tags: evolve|
|18:04||Create new branch named "evolve" check-in: 27ef80a0 user: joel tags: evolve|
|15:35||Break loading cycle in pollen/setup Leaf check-in: d5b9dd58 user: joel tags: trunk|